-
March 26th, 2002, 05:00 AM
#1
Stark
Guest
Greetings!
I'm Stark a late 20s soon to be a "Stay at home dad", and a long time SiP reader. I like to read my books in blocks so many times I wont read SiP for 6 months then read them all in a row. I have the "I dream of You", "Its a Good Life", and the "Collected Volumn One" in TPB but I also have many of those issues in their singular form. For some odd reason I am, however, missing issue 38. I plan to fix that problem as soon as I get some moola.
Now then, I want to introduce the gang to my mother but Im not 100% sure where to start her. It seems to me that "I Dream of You" should be the beginning but in theory "Collected Volumn One" would be first, but those issues seem to have come from various points in the continuity? No?
I could sure use a definitive say as to where to start and how to progress to maintain the perfect continuity.
Thanks for any help on that problem. My second question is a bit more...dicey.
Issues 17 - 19...
Um...I dont get it. We see the Darcy story line come to a close then apparently we flash forward into the future to find Francine and Katchoo seperated for 10 YEARS, Francine married with a daughter and Katchoo not with David but living alone in New Mexico painting.
In the middle of the Issue we "flashback" to the time line right after the Darcy arc again and EVERY Issue since 17 - 19 has suppossedly been filling in the blanks for what we see at the beginning of 17! Uh... huh?
I read #45 and see Katchoo and Francine on the phone together right after Francine moves back to Houstan WITHOUT Brad...uh.
First WHY did Terry write himself into a corner with the flash forward portion of 17 and then basically throw that out the window what.. some 3-4 real life years later?
Please someone help me understand issues 17 - 19 and how it impacts EVERYTHING that has come after. Every issue I have read after 19 I have read with the feeling of "but Francine ends up away from Katchoo and married to Brad for the better part of their adult lives" (which bothers me by the way) only to find out he is changing it as he goes.
Someone please explain what exactly those issues represent....I wish those issues never existed and I wonder if Terry feels the same way.
Stark
------------------
[This message has been edited by Stark (edited March 26, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by Stark (edited March 26, 2002).]
-
March 26th, 2002, 07:56 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Hi, Stark!
CV1 definately takes place before 'I Dream of You' and 'It's a wonderful life.'
In CV1 we are introduced primarily to four
major characters in in SIP; Fran, Kat, Freddie, and David. It is not as deep or emotionally stirring as the other collections, but it gently pulls readers into the SIP universe before slapping them silly with Kat's dark past, Darcy's cold brutallity, and David's big secret.
I think CV1 is the perfect place to begin the great SIP experience for new readers.
------------------
something witty.
-
March 26th, 2002, 08:13 AM
#3
Inactive Member
You think you're confused by the future stuff? The very first SIP iss' I read was Vol 2, No.1 ... which began with a dream sequence, followed by the first glimpse of the future, followed by the present, without my knowing the backstory on Fran & Kat. Yeesh!!! Now, that was confusing! 
You are not alone. I think the stuff about Fran being married to Brad over ten years from now and having a four year old daughter, etc. is true. I think something bad happens with her current pregnancy and Fran winds up getting hitched after all.
Some of the more confusing future stuff we have seen recently was (if I know what I'm talking about, which is not always the case) Fran immagining different ways her life could turn out ... while she was retching in the toilet, working up the nerve to tell her mom and Brad how she really feels about Kat and that she does'nt want to go thru with the marriage.
A lot of readers think the future stuff was a bad idea. I think the series would have been better off without it, but Terry seems to be doing everything in his power to make it work out, in regards to entertaining us and keeping the future stuff from completely unraveling into a total nightmare.
I'll say it again. You are not alone in your concerns and your opinions.
------------------
something witty.
-
March 26th, 2002, 06:06 PM
#4
HB Forum Owner
I also recommend having your mom start with Vol 1. It is the beginning of SIP and how I got into it.
As for the issues 17-19. From what I remember, they are told as if Francine/Kat (it's been so long since I've read that I can't remember what perspective it's from) is remembering the recent past. Everything that happens in those issues is real. It was just told from a "this is when things went wrong" point of view. Another clue that the whole SIP story is probably being told/remembered by one of the major SIP characters at some point in the far future. The whole SIP story as they remember it, if you will.
I think the "ten years in the future" glimpses we've had are real and that Terry's getting us to that point, and possibly beyond.
------------------
The ninja lesbian milk getter. aka dorkflakes.
Take the time to feel the wind.
I'm tired of the silent majority. Silence equals death.
"I'm not crazy, I'm just reality challenged" -tyledras
Help Hostboard by using that search engine.
ChatterBox
Bran's Place
-
March 26th, 2002, 11:30 PM
#5
Jaxom 27
Guest
You really gotta start with vol. I...but if that isn't an option...it isn't impossible to start at the first issue of each subsequent volumes...things are explained enough to get you rolling...but it's all a diabolical plot to sell back issues and trades, isn't it, Terry...
------------------
"To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition."
- Woody Allen
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks